Saturday, June 18, 2011

A vacation at the cabin

Every year since I was little my family has spent a week at my grandparents cabin in southern Utah. It is always so much fun! The past couple of years Curtis and I haven't been able to go with my family because of work. This year we were so excited to go spend time with them. My grandparents came and spent the week with us as well which was so much fun. We learned that my grandma is a card shark and she quickly caught on to all the new games we taught her.

The first day after we got there was spent cleaning up all of the trees that had gotten knocked over this winter all around the cabin. There was a ton of snow that fell this winter up there and there were bent and broken trees everywhere. The lady at the rangers station told us that they had six feet of snow fall in 24 hours during one storm. Crazy! A lot of the hikes and side roads around the cabin were closed down still because they hadn't been able to remove all of the trees that had fallen in the road and the damage to the trails that had been caused so we didn't get to do very many of the hikes in the area that we normally do. Mammoth Caves was open though and Colin, Curtis and I had fun crawling through the caves. It sure was a lot harder going through the caves as adults then it was as kids but we made it through without getting too stuck.

We went fishing almost every night and caught about 14 fish each day! My mom and my siblings and I don't eat fish so we've always just thrown back everything we catch but my grandparents really like fish and had us bring them back trout to cook up for breakfast in the morning. I'm so glad that the boys were the ones who had to clean and gut the fish!

My mom, Colin, Curtis and I went to Bryce Canyon on Thursday and Zions on Friday. I love going to both of those parks and seeing all of the beautiful scenery there. Those are two of my most favorite places to go and hike! It seems like we do the same hikes there every year but I never get tired of it! Most of the pictures that we took at the cabin are from those two days.

While we were there we got to celebrate my mom's and Curtis' birthday's as well as Fathers day. I'm so grateful that we got to spend time with everyone and spend a relaxing week together. We were sad that Rhys, Natalia, and Colby weren't there with us this year but hopefully next year we can all make it there. I can't wait to come back next year!

Here are some pictures from the trip:

Curtis and Colin making s'mores at the cabin


There was still a lot of snow up in Duck Creek, this was taken at Navajo lake.

Aspen Mirror lake where we did most of our fishing. It was beautiful!


A couple of pictures from Bryce canyon. It was such a beautiful day that day. The weather was perfect!


A couple of pictures from Zion's. It was a lot warmer here then at Bryce Canyon but it was still a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment