Sunday, March 27, 2011

Good morning, Sunshine!

Today marked the end of 13 straight rainy days here in Sacramento. I know today isn't quite over yet so I should be careful what I say but I think that, just maybe, today could be the first entirely-rain-free day we've had since we arrived. I can't complain too much though because all of the rain here has made everything so green. Curtis keeps saying that the grass here looks photoshopped because the colors are so bright. Sacramento has been fun so far and I can't believe that I am almost half way done with my internship already. I really love working with the kids and seeing all the progress they are making. There is something about hearing profoundly deaf children carry on a conversation with you that makes my heart smile. I was standing by the front office at the school the other day and I could hear a classroom of kids down the hall singing their ABC's and I got a little emotional. Hearing a class of preschool kids sing their ABC's normally wouldn't be anything remarkable but these kids were all born with hearing loss (a lot of them profoundly deaf) and to their families, it is a miracle that their child can listen and talk and have the same opportunities as the other children in their neighborhoods. I love working with these kids!

4 comments:

  1. Happy for your sunshine, outside and working with your kids :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kaleena! How are you? What have you guys been up to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. I teach Seth Sign Language, but just because I wanted him to be able to communicate with me. I have a soft spot in my heart for kids with hearing loss, so I got a little emotional with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post touches my heart b/c I of what I have gone through - the outcome is overwhelming and seeing the miracles that happen.
    I'm glad you have fun! I admire you~

    love you Aubrey

    ReplyDelete