With all of the moving we've been doing we've heard the questions "so what's next, where are you headed to?" quite a lot lately. When we left Logan, the next step was "St. George" and leaving St. George, we could answer with "Sacramento" but now that the internships are over and graduation is coming we were a little nervous because we didn't have a next step in place yet for the Fall. I have been doing a lot of job searching in Michigan, California and Iowa because that's were Curtis was accepted to law school. After about a month of looking at job postings in those states and many, many months of law school decision making (with very little progress and many mentions of pulling out a dart board to quicken the decision making), we were getting a little bit frustrated. We didn't really want to move to any of those states and the job prospects weren't looking that great. One night Curtis suggested looking at the job postings for Speech Pathology jobs in Utah and we were a little shocked with what we found. There were TONS of job openings in Utah. All over Utah. Anywhere we wanted to go, there were openings. We talked it over and decided that I should apply to a job opening in Utah and see what happened. I sent in my application to a school district near by and I got a phone call the very next day asking me to come in for an interview the following week. On April 27th I went in for an interview and was offered a position right there in the interview! I was so excited! They gave me a list of schools that were open in the district and I was able to pick whichever school I wanted from the list. I decided on a School in Orem, near where Curtis grew up and I'm excited to start working there in the Fall.
Some of you may be wondering, "but what about law school, wasn't Curtis planning on going to law school in the Fall?" After doing a lot of research into the schools that he was accepted to and after looking at the job prospects for getting hired in the places we want to live after law school is finished, he has decided to postpone law school for a year. He wants to take the LSAT over again this Fall and re-apply for the 2012 school year. He would like to improve his LSAT score and see if he can get into his top two choices which are BYU or University of Utah. Even if he doesn't get into one of those two schools next year, we will know better about what we are looking for in a school and location and focus his applications more on schools that would be better for us.
This is certainly not what we had planned on doing and it is always a little scary to have a change of direction when you had made different plans but we feel good about this decision and feel like we are making the right choice. It seems like life doesn't ever turn out the way that we plan it but we didn't want to move to Logan and it turned out to be an amazing experience. We are excited for this coming year and to see what life will bring next.
No comments:
Post a Comment